The sole purpose of breast compression is to continue
the flow of milk to the baby once the baby no longer
drinks alone. Compression will also stimulate
disappointed reflex and often causes a natural let
down reflex occurs. This technique may also be
useful for the following:
- The weight of the infant.
- Colic in the breastfed infant.
- feeding or nursing often long.
- Sore nipples for the mother.
- Repeat channel blocked
- Feeding baby fast asleep.
If all goes well, breast compression may
not required. When all is well, the mother should
allowing the baby to finish the meal on the first side,
then if the baby wants more – offer the other side.
How to use breast compression
- Hold the baby with one hand.
- Hold the breast with the other arm, thumb
on one side of your breast, your fingers on the other side
far back from the nipple
- Keep an eye out for a drink baby,
although there is no need to be obsessive about
catching every suck. baby will get more milk when
drinking with open pause type of suck.
- When the baby is biting or no longer
drinking, compress the breast, not so loud that
painful though. With breast compression, baby
should start drinking again.
- Maintain the pressure until the baby is not
drink again with the compression, then release
pressure. If the baby does not stop sucking with
compression release, wait a second before compressing
- The reason for releasing the pressure is to
allowing your hand to rest, and allow milk to start
flowing to the baby again. If the baby stops sucking
when you release the pressure, he will start again
once he taste of milk.
- When the baby starts sucking again, he
may drink. If not, simply compress again.
- Continue to eat on the first side until
baby no longer drinks with compression. You
should allow him the time to stay on that side until he
started drinking again, alone.
- If the baby is no longer drinking, allowing
comes from the breast or take it off.
- If the baby still wants more, offer
the other side and repeat the process as above.
- Unless you have sore nipples, you may
wanted to switch sides like this a few times.
- Always working to improve the baby’s latch.